Sunday, January 10, 2010

Backcounty ski/snowshoe Jan 16th

From: Mike Torrance mikehoofer@yahoo.com
-----------------------


Next weekend I am going to go to Indian Lake County park to hunt to go off-trail and search for backcounty slopes to ski down. This will involve breaking trail and occasionally thrashing through underbrush. As much as I would love to gracefully dance around the trees on the way down, it will more likely be a series of strait lines and sliding on my ass.

I've done this a few times and it's a lot of fun. So you think you up for it to have a day playing in the snow, come join me.

Showshoers and traditional X-county skiers are also welcome, but it's likely we'll take different directions and travel at different speeds, so you'll be off on your own. We can plan to meet back at the car(s) at a defined time.

Details:
- Meet at Park Street Circle at 9 am (Jan 16th). We'll be back late afternoon. I'll have a car that can fit 3 more people. Bring a few buck for gas.
- The county park costs $8 for a daily pass, or $26 for a annual pass.
- Bring a lunch, at least 1 liter of water, snacks, etc., and a knapsack
- Wear wicking clothes (no cotton shirts, no jeans, no cotton socks, etc).
- Bring at least a spare shirt and socks (you will be sweaty, and eventually chilled and then cold)
- The club has backcounty skis. I personally like longer poles for this, but that's your call.
- I've also done this with normal XC skies (yesterday), but they tend to get scratched up. With this in mind, your welcome to bring your own, but you are not allowed to use club traditional XC skies.

Note: In terms of using hoofer ski gear next weekend, priority will go the Delta Lodge trip. I also don't have keys to the cage, so if you need to borrow gear let me know ASAP.

Note #2: I will NOT be at the meeting on Tuesday.


Mike.

P.S. Future trips will include skiing along the ice age trial from Devil's lake to Parfrey Geln, and bushwacking the south shore/slope of Devil's lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment