Monday, January 18, 2010

Backcounty ski - Sunday Jan 24th

From: Mike Torrance mikehoofer@yahoo.com
---------------------

Last Saturday two other hoofers and I went to Indian Lake for some off-trail backcountry skiing. It was AWESOME!!!! We found slopes that can only be had with going off-trail - I was able to get get few telemark turns.

So...

This inspired me to search for other places to backcounty ski. Today I explored "Blackhawk Ridge", a DNR property near Sauk City. It has some insane slopes that was even better than Indian Lake! For those that understand this reference: "It's like paddling section 4 of the wolf river"

So...

I want to go back to "Blackhawk Ridge" next Sunday Jan 24th. This is a backcounty ski trip, but it's also well suited for snowshoes. It's NOT well suited for traditional XC skiing because the park has no tracks (on the other hand, that's never stopped me).

Details:
- Meet at Park Street Circle at 10:30am on Sunday. We'll be back in the mid afternoon.
- The club has 3 extra pairs of scaled backcounty skis. This is the main limiting factor for this trip. If you have your own gear - you're golden. - You also in good shape if you have your own car (if it comes down to limitations on transportation).
- If you want to go, email me before Friday. Let me know if you need gear and are willing to drive.
- If you need to bail out, let me know by Friday. This way I can contact anyone on the waiting list or those that are dependent on a ride.

- Bring a lunch, some extra food for the car ride home. Bring at least 1 liter of water.
- Wear wicking clothes (flease, polypro, etc). No cotton shirts, jeans, etc. There is a good change that we'll bushwhack through underbrush, so be advised.
- Bring extra clothes for the ride home. This is going to be hot and sweaty; you are going to be damp, then cold.
- This is a DNR property. It requires a State Park Sticker. (I have one on my car). If you don't have one, we can figure that out - let me know before Friday.
- If you want to snowshoe - that's fine. If someone wants to run that, that would be nice. I'm happy to join transportation logistics. I just doubt we'll cross paths during the day.
- Bring some extra cash for drivers.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment