Tuesday, December 1, 2009

12/4: Friday Night Hoofer Social / Colorado Backpacking Picture Exchange / Pizza & Movie party

From: Morgan Lieder

-------------------------------
Well the title says pretty much everything, but here goes!
In case you didn't hear, I decided to go winter backpacking this past week in Colorado in a place where show can be dumped on you by the foot, the air is rediculously cold, the altitude gains from all the hills you climb over the course of a day can be up to twice the height of the Empire State Building, there's boulders bigger than Memorial Union all around, and altitude sickness can take you out and leave you freezing to death. And through a series of cheap tricks and pickup lines and promises of amazing sights I managed to con 9 foolish victims into comming on the trip with me to the middle of nowhere on Thanksgiving where we were the only ones on the trail, there's no place to run, and there was nobody around to hear them scream!!
I was of course going for the mythical HBH (Hoofer Backpacking Hardcore) rating where you need to be able to lead extreme trips in the harshest of weather conditions, pull all your turns on icy gravel roads leading off cliffs with no side rails using the e-brake, drink dirty water with your oatmeal, and sacrifice a group member or two to the wild for the greater good! (pleaste note, the HBH rating may be just a thing of myth and legends and is not officially recognized by the club) Everything was going well for my new rating, and Navs was even praying for Santa Morgan to kiel over and leave him a brand new turbo diesel to go loot for Christmas. And I had a crazy German show up with nothing but cotton pants and sneakers that wanted to go kill a bear with a pocket knife because he told his friend he's bring back a bear skin for him. I mean, you can't spell out the definition of casualty much better than that. But then the UNTHINKABLE happened! Everyone lived!! Not only did I not qualify for HBH but nobody even lost a finger or toe so I couldn't even qualify for a HBH-P rating.
(please note, the previous paragraph may be 83% made-up sarcasm and bs)
So what does this mean to all of you? It means we have a whole ton of awesome photos to exchange and share! And I just got Fight Club on blu-ray in the mail and I haven't seen it in like 10 years. SOOOO, I'm throwing a hoofer social, movie, pizza, picture exchange at my place! I'll be making up a few of my giant homemade 16" pizzas and we can come hang out, watch Fight Club, and look at and talk about all the amazing photos on the trip. There might even be a Dairy Queen ice cream cake involved
Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited space at my place. So I'm going to have to limit this to around 25 or so people total, and I'm going to have to be somewhat selective. So sorry in advance if you don't get in. (The people who were on the trip are of course guaranteed spots.)
Time: 8pm on Friday November 4th.
Location: I'll tell you by email if you get in, there will likely be a car shuttle to get people there.
Cost: $5
Also, if you'd be willing to show up around 6pm to help me prepare food and rearrange the living room and my stereo for the event please let me know as I could use 1 helper or so. Unless of course you're an uncouth walking disaster in the kitchen.
What I need to know:
Who are you?
Can you drive people? If so how many?
Have you seen Fight Club before?
Why do you want to come?
What's the right way to eat a reese's pieces?
Where do you want to go backpacking the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment